I haven't done weeknotes in… over a year, and we're already in week 5 of 2019 so here's a monthnote for January. I'll keep it brief.
- New Adventures Conference in Nottingham! Some highlights of that:
- Emma Boulton's UX Discovery workshop was great. Could have done with being a whole day but I learned a lot and was pretty much wiped out by lunchtime anyway.
- Page 45! Not part of the conference but it is in Nottingham and I've been meaning to visit for ages. I picked up a copy of the just-released-in-English Sergio Toppi collection: The Enchanted World. I love Toppi's work.
- The talks themselves. They were all good. That's really an amazing achievement. They covered a range of topics from setting up a business through language, accessibility, inclusivity and awareness of how what we build can and will be misused, finishing with Ethan Marcotte's talk at the end with a call for us to unionise. That got a round of spontaneous applause.
- Upgrading this site. I use Kirby, and I thought upgrading to version 3 would be a simple thing and give me a more mobile-friendly editing interface. Well, one of those things came true. Not the fault of Kirby, since I've built this site in a slightly unusual way, but yeah: I haven't done this stuff in ages I am so rusty. I asked for help on the forums only for the helpful support person to point out a blindingly basic mistake in my code. Ho hum. I used to do this everyday as a job, you know.
- Books books books. I have a lot of books that I need to read.
- Brexit. The existential despair continues. We are governed by self-obsessed pig-ignorant fools in thrall to the far-right.
- Last but not least, ending on a happy note: Stickybones! This was a project on Indiegogo I backed at the start of February 2016, and it arrived on January 30th this year. Some projects just take a while I suppose. It's a posable figure to help with drawing and so on. That's it in the top picture. Actually posable!